Sunday, April 13, 2008

Success with Meringue! Blog Announcement! Yay!

Big small-cookie news, small book news.

when i post more often, i've got less to say per post. go figure.

Last time I said I was going to try Mom's recipe for forgotten cookies, and God help me, I actually did it. These were always "Mom's Cookies", and my sister and I would beg Mom to make them. Easy cheap ingredients, so she usually obliged. I called her the other day, and asked "I'm making these cookies for the first time by myself, what did you leave out of your recipe?" She didn't leave out any instructions, but I got to hear the story of how she got the recipe. It's not a family recipe by any means, and don't tell my Mom, but it's an adaptation of a simple Meringue cookie recipe in The Joy of Cooking.

this is so easy, i don't even have to go get the cookbook to know it.

Forgotten Cookies

2 egg whites at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

turn oven to 350 when you start beating eggs. cover two cookie sheets with foil. if you're tempted to go heavy on the chocolate and nuts, don't. it'll just weigh down your meringue. the cookies will taste fine, but they won't look real pretty.

beat eggs until frothy with a hand mixer. keep going until you have soft peaks. takes 15-20 minutes, so use an electric hand mixer, or make sure your cordless one has a full charge before your start. very slowly add sugar, and continue mixing. add salt & vanilla, and you guessed, it keep mixing. when peaks are between soft and hard, gently (gently!) fold in chocolate chips and nuts with a plastic spatula or wooden spoon. drop by the heaping teaspoon onto foiled cookie sheets.

if you did it right, the cookies won't spread, and you'll get between 20 and 30 cookies. gently put the cookie sheets into the hot oven, close the door, and TURN THE OVEN OFF. leave cookies in the oven for 8-10 hours, then gently peel them off the foil. the perfect cookie is fragile on the outside, slightly chewy in the center, and has a shiny bottom.

my first time making these, i can't believe they came out as good as they did. Ok, husband helped with the mixing. . . because if you can believe it, i'd never used a hand mixer before either. Yes, i live under a rock.

fat free, cholesterol free, sinfully sweet, and good for Passover. and that word, Meringue, just feels so funny on my tongue. i like it.

To interrupt the news of "sorry, minimal new book news right now", i get to announce that Read.Eat.Rinse.Repeat is being mirrored on one of my favorite e-zine's, ARWZ. means I can torture even more people with my silliness!

onto the no new book news: About half way through Steven Brust's The Book of Jhereg. As it says on the cover, this is the first three adventures of Vlad Taltos, human living on the Draegeri continent. He needs to get a job, and fit it. First story had a slow start, and little to no worldbuilding of the Draegeri Empire, the 17 or so ruling families and the "cycle", Vlad's journey to him, um, current professions, but i stuck with it, because it's a great story. and i knew with 2 more stories in the book (each at over 100 pages, so more like novellas?) i'd get the background i wanted. Into the 2nd story, I'm getting it. Hopefully a more detailed review to come.

i gave up on Catch 22. It's going back to the library, unfinished. To paraphrase a good friend of mine, the plot focuses on Yossarian metaphorically beating his head against the wall. after my complaints of "but when does something start to happen?" my friend responded with "It doesn't. Yossarian has to change his paradigm. Maybe you're not in the literary mood for this right now". He was right. I'm not. sucks to be me. i'll pick it up at some later date, and be very happy with it.

No comments: