Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Book Version

New book reviews up:

St. Lunatic High School, Volume 2, by Majiko. If only I would look as good in those gothy outfits as those insanely tall, insanely slender characters, I would die a happy woman. And what is it about young love? If only Niko and Ren would tell each other that they like each other, they could be happy! There was some hinting at the end of this volume that it would Majiko's final entry in St. Lunatics, and I hope that isn't true, because this really is a cute series. Great for the high school romance/paranormal fans.

Whitechapel Gods, by S. M. Peters. Probably the best steampunk I have ever read. Great adventure, some absolutely insane characters. I've read this book twice now, and am considering reading it a third time. And i've only had it 3 months! I only read FMA that often! I've a plain covered galley copy (no cover art), and i'd happily go spend my $10 on the real version. And then keep both versions.

Voices from the Street, by Philip K. Dick. No SF here, just plain 50's literature. Somewhat annoying, boring and slow in parts. Got much better near the end, when Stuart “cracks”. Dick was always an idea man, not much of an execution man. While you're reading his stuff, you don't like it, but a week after you've finished it, you've come to enjoy it. Or something. Not sure if i'll be keeping this one, or trading it away. So was it good, or am I just saying it's good, because of the reputation of the author?

Books on the plate:

slogging through Charlie Stross's 4th Merchant Princes book, The Merchants War. Am I a horrible person because i'm ready for this series to be over? I am ready for the final showdown. I recommend Stross to everyone I know (seriously, I do!), but this isn't my favorite of his. But anyone have a copy of his Halting State that you'd be willing to trade me for???

About half way through Bruce Taylor's Edward: Dancing on the Edge of Infinity. Remember the first time you saw a Baz Lurhmann movie? And you thought to yourself “Has this guy never seen a movie before? Because this isn't how they are made!” But the movie worked, and you liked it, and you kept your eye our for more Baz Lurhmann weirdness? This book is like that. I'll link to the review sometime later, when it's up.

Read Marjane Satrapi's Persopolis. It's a black and white, simply told comic book, told through a pre-teen Marjane, in the early 80's, in Iran. I highly recommend this book. Things are very different, and very real, when seen through the eyes of a 12 year old, who doesn't understand (and doesn't care) why she has to suddenly wear a veil to school, why her dad tells her to flush all the family's alcohol down the drain, why she can't learn French in school anymore, and why her teachers tell her the Shah was chosen by God, then the next year they are told to tear all the photos of the Shah out of their school books. At the end, her parents buy her a plane ticket to Vienna, and say they will follow in six months. Marjane tells everything simply, as it is. Life isn't complicated for pre-teens. They want to play with their friends, wear nail polish, and listen to Michael Jackson. She is old enough to know they are lying. I'm reading this in the first floor lounge at the library, and nearly crying. They have the second volume, too. I seem to have this fascination with the world of Islam through the eyes of Muslim women.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

completely unrelated, I can't find your e-mail address, but here's a site I came across that I imagine you might enjoy...

Hope all's well in Kalamazoo!

Take care,
Jamie

http://www.101cookbooks.com/about/

Anonymous said...

completely unrelated, I can't find your e-mail address, but here's a site I came across that I imagine you might enjoy...

Hope all's well in Kalamazoo!

Take care,
Jamie

http://www.101cookbooks.com/

Andrea Johnson said...

thanks Jamie! I bookmarked it. and I'll e-mail you so you've got my address. :)