Saturday, June 21, 2008

your fan-girl-ness is showing.

It's been a week. I devoured Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora. It was ambrosia and I felt like I hadn't eaten in a week. Any concerned I had that I wouldn't like it as much the second time around evaporated, when I felt myself becoming a Locke Lamora fangirl. Again. Even worse than the first time.

I may never again have the opportunity to use the word “immature” as a compliment. All those things written on little scraps of paper than authors through into the wastebin because “you can't do that in a book”, well, Lynch does it. And then he does it again. With flair. And sarcasm. And language that would make Gordon Ramsey blush.

What have we learned?
If you don't like swearing, don't read this book.
If you want a book where people follow the rules, don't read this book.
If you want a book with a good moral message and a happy ending, don't read this book.

If you want dirty cutthroats, and even dirtier cut-purses, women who will break your heart right before they break your knee caps, man eating sharks, handsome liars with swords and lying priests with hatchets, naïve nobles, gangster kings, cringe worthy torture (at least twice!) the best friends a boy could ask for, and characters who could give Jack Sparrow lessons on the art of the one liner, you might want to read this book.

And did I mention, there is a sequel? Apparently more of the above, plus pirates.

I can't help but envision James McAvoy (who i'm totally in love with) in the movie version.

My husband just picked it up. I hope he doesn't laugh at my fangirlness.

No comments: