Wednesday, March 17, 2010

But I hate Tolkien.

Been barking up the wrong tree?

I always thought I was a pure science fiction fan. I grew up reading the classics – Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert, and then moved into more contemporary SF masters like Greg Bear, Charles Stross, David Brin and others. The last 5-8 years my “favorite authors” list has included Charles deLint, Scott Lynch, Michael Moorcock, George R R Martin, Steven Brust, Stephen Lawhead, Jeff Vandermeer, China Mieville, Cory Doctorow, and M. John Harrison, among others.

Surfing a handful of scifi forums online, I was saddened that no one was talking about my favorite authors. None of these so called SF fans read Mieville? really?

Little did I know I would find all my favorite authors and their rabid fans under “fantasy”. George R R Martin and Jeff Vandermeer are considered fantasy? Seriously? But I hate Tolkien.

No comments: