Monday, June 14, 2010

For the love of cucumbers.

I heart cucumbers. Really, I do. Have since I was a kid. If I was bugging my Mom for a snack before dinner, and she didn't want me to wreck my apetite, she'd give me a hunk of cucumber to munch on. And I was a happy camper!  Cukes are so versatile when it comes to salads, they play well with just about anything.

Three Sentence Cucumber Dill salad.
So easy the instructions are three sentences. Ok, maybe four.

one cucumber, peeled or not
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
A few thin slices (or more to taste) of red onion, cut into 1" peices
1/2 tbsp dried dill

cut the cucumber in half longways, and spoon out the seeds. slice into 1/4" thick slices and toss in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients until the cucumber slices are coated. Test for seasonings, and add more salt/onion/dill/lemon juice as needed. Eat right away, or chill for later.

The original recipe I referenced called for sour cream and half of a small red onion. I swapped the sour cream for greek yogurt (I'm a huge fan of greek yogurt!), and after picking out most of the red onion because it was too strong, I lowered the suggested amount.

What to do with the rest of that onion? You could make salsa, or carmelized onion for pizza or focaccia or just eat the cooled carmelized onions with some drained canned chickpeas and a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

This would make a great pot luck dish. If you chill it for a few hours, it should hold at room temperature just fine for a while. Or, you could be like me and eat the entire bowl (ok, I picked out a bunch of onions) for dinner. It's not my fault, I swear, I just love cucumbers!

No comments: