Sunday, December 11, 2011

Red Wine "Beef" Stew

I've also added barley and parsnips, when I have had extra of those from other recipes. The taste of the red wine, for me, can create a strange taste, so I usually replace it with water. If I can't find the vegan beep strips, I just cut up a large veggie burger.

The cookbook says this recipe serves 6. This makes so much that I do use a 6-quart pot, using a 4-quart was almost not big enough.

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I just use regular flour)
1 T minced rosemary
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces vegan beep strips or chunks (thawed, if frozen)
1 T refined coconut oil (I usually can't find this, so I just use regular cooking oil)
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 1/2 cups low-sodium veggie stock
1 1/2 cups red wine
3 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 pounds cremini (brown) mushrooms, halved or quartered
1 cup fresh or frozen peas

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, rosemary, salt and pepper. Add the beef and toss to coat.

Heat the oil in a 4-6 quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the beef mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.

Stir in the stock, wine, and carrots. Increase the heat to high, bring to a boil and reduce to a summer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the potato and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the peas, stirring until the peas are heated through.


Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, Rory Freedman & Kim Barnouin, 2007

1 comment:

Osias said...

Wonderful blog about recipes. I love cooking. Thank you for sharing this blog. http://thaifooddelicasies.blogspot.com/