Friday, August 6, 2010

my first Robin Hobb

I just picked up Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, and I'm about 100 pages in. I don't usually read high fantasy, and a title with the word Assassin in it? really? yuck.

anyways, the story follow Fitz, whose about 6 years old at the beginning. He's the illigimate child of the eldest prince of the realm. 20 pages in I felt the writing was just OK. After recognizing his bastard, the prince steps down and retires to the country. The king takes a liking to his grandson, and brings the boy to the castle where he is educated in reading, writing, numbers, horses, swordplay, and how to kill people. If you were a shrewd king (and he is), why would you have your illegitimate trained in the art of assassination? Unless perhaps, umm, you wanted to have someone killed? a ha! that happens around page 90, and the novel suddenly takes a turn for the fascinating.

So we shall see what happens!

No comments: