Monday, November 29, 2010

Make-Ahead Party Mashed Pototoes

I clip coupons from our free local weekly newspaper. I usually ignore the recipes that come along with the coupons, but this one caught my eye. It took about a week for the two of us to finish it, but it was very tasty and easy to make. I didn't think about cutting it in half. There is also an option for chopped bacon, but I didn't add it, so I didn't include it in the recipe.

7 1/2 cups water
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter or margarine
2 teaspoons garlic salt (I just used minced garlic)
2 teaspoons onion salt (I just used minced onion)
2 8-oz packages cream cheese, cubed and softened (I get low fat)
1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
1 16-oz. contained sour cream (I get low fat)
1 15.3 oz package instant mashed potatoes (9 cups) (I used Hungry Jack brand)
Paprika
Chopped parsley (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 X 9 inch baking dish with no-stick cooking spray. Heat water, butter, garlic, salt and onion salt to boiling in a 6-quart Dutch oven or saucepan. Remove from heat. Add cream cheese, evaporated milk and sour cream, stirring until cream cheese is dissolved.

Stir in potato flakes, mixing until all ingredients are well combined. Spread potato mixture into prepared pan.

Sprinkle with paprika and bake 1 hour or until bubbling around edges and golden brown. Top with parsley.

No comments: