Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cranberry Couscous

This is great for Thanksgiving, or for any time. This is an amazing couscous dish! I usually use only half an onion. A frying pan was too small for this recipe.

1 large onion
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. butter
salt as needed
3 3/4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 cups couscous

Peel the onion, cut it lengthwise into 8 wedges, then slice the wedges very thinly crosswise. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large non-stick saute pan and saute the onion, with a little salt, until it is lightly browned.

Add the vegetable broth and the dried cranberries and bring the broth to a boil. Lower the heat to a mere simmer, add the couscous, cover the pan, and leave it to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave covered for another 2-3 minutes, then fluff up the couscous with a fork and serve.

The New Vegetarian Epicure, Anna Thomas, 2007

1 comment:

Andrea Johnson said...

I made this the other night! I had dried currants, and no cranberries, so I made that substitution, and I prefer couscous cold or room temp, I let it sit in the fridge overnight. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea? by the next morning, it was a little dry and bland, so I added 2 tbsp olive oil, and 1/2 tsp of cilantro, parsley and mint. Made for some good lunches!